Pages

Monday, December 10, 2012

Elizabethan Embroidery, here I come!

Look at the elaborately detailed embroidery
Preparations all complete, I'm off for two days to the Gail Harker Center for the Creative Arts to learn all about and practice Elizabethan Embroidery.  I've really been looking forward to this, as I do all of the classes at Gail's, partially because so much of my work is done by machine that it's nice to slow down and have the relaxing experience of hand work, and also because I really enjoy history and costume.

My love of costume goes way back to my childhood.  Sure, like many little girls I enjoyed playing 'dress-up', but I guess I never really outgrew it! I remember my parents taking us to a medieval faire when I was quite young, and I've continued attending many of them throughout my life.  When I was 14, I had my first job... working for a private seamstress doing alterations and clothing construction.  I tore out and replaced so many jeans zippers with elaborate top-stitching, that I pretty much swore off of garments for some time (and still have somewhat of an aversion to sewing clothing.)  When I started in college, I wanted to be a costume designer.  Unfortunately, I wasn't really ready for college at the time, so went off to work after one semester.

Nikki and I in our historical costume at
Reno Friesian horse show
I did love to dress quite wild, either in vintage clothing or items that could be considered costumes in my early 20's.  Then I started a small business making Rock 'n Roller costumes for bands and fans, which I kept up for a short time.


Through the vagrancy of life, my main chapter of costumery took a hiatus for some time, though I never lost my love of it.  Then I had some fun in reviving this long-lost love of mine, when I had my beautiful Friesian mare and was showing her regularly.  From time-to-time, there were costume classes at the horse shows, so we both got dressed up in Renaissance gear.

My Friesian mare and I in full Renaissance costume 
Now, with my older son being a Viking aficionado and member of the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA), I get to play at dress-up once again.  There's even a chance that I can do demonstrations of the embroidery I'll be learning at the "Ursulmas" event in January.  I'm so lucky to have two sons who actually like doing things with their Mom!

Well, I'd best be off to bed, as I need to get up early and drive to La Conner for class (about a 75 minute drive from our home.)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment