Pages

Friday, December 7, 2012

My favorite tree: Pacific Madrona

Here in the Northwest, beautiful trees and greenery surround us.  Having such a lush environment sometimes makes me a little unaware of the splendor of the amazing foliage I see each day.  However, the Pacific Madrona (or Madrone) stands up and screams "Look at me!" The distinctive red-rust bark is noticeable from afar, yet gets even more interesting as you get closer.  The bark seems to go in cycles with the rusty outer layers peeling off and uncovering an under-layer of nearly florescent lime green bark.  It has dimples and crags, as if it has been through really rough times.




Now, the Madrona tree does often grow along the rocky Pacific coastline, so it can see its share of harsh winds and weather.  However, seeing these majestic beauties in areas surrounds with other trees, where they aren't subject to undue forces from Mother Nature, they still show all the pock marks and unique characteristics which make them so fascinating.



I hope you enjoy these photos I've taken of a few Pacific Madronas.  Expressing them in fiber is on my list!

You might also enjoy:
Skagit Skies
Sunshine and Sand
Finding Inspiration Every Day


No comments:

Post a Comment