Pages

Monday, December 3, 2012

Viking Apron Dress


I promised I'd post pictures of my Viking Apron dress when finished, so here's the whole costume, as well as my elder son Ryan and younger, Coleman, in their gear. The golden apron dress is made of linen, which I hand-dyed. I purchased the two Turtle brooches from Raymond's Quiet Press, who makes historical recreations (from jewelry to helms.) I already had the strings of beads, which I hand-stitched onto the apron dress, in the Viking fashion. We had a fine time at the "Good Yule" feast, with a fantastic smorgasbord of both old Norse and Byzantine food.

Now that the Good Yule celebration is out of the way, I can get back to my regular creative life, at least until Ursalmas, the next big area event from the Society of Creative Anachronism, which my sons want to attend in the end of January. At least I already have a costume made now, so I won't have to do that, although it looks like Coleman may now also be interested, so he may want to have me make a more authentic outfit.




More to come later tonight. Now that I have this out of the way, I can focus on more of the creative efforts closer to my heart!

2 comments:

  1. Way to go! When we home schooled for 11 years, our sons participated in this society out in Nelson, BC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always enjoyed the medieval and renaissance fairs, so it's fun to do this with him. We're going to the big Ursalmas festival next week... he'll do Youth armored combat and I'll sit and do embroidery. Not a bad way to spend a day, particularly since he appreciates it so much that I'll do it with him. Since he's headed to college next year, I'm trying to get as much time in with him that I can!

      Delete